Monday, April 17, 2006

Eggs and Legs

Do colored eggs count as finished objects? The boys, Grandma, and I colored eggs on Saturday. But, since that doesn't count as a needle craft, I am still at one (1) finished object for the year. It's April. That's a bit depressing.

What I DID do so far this year: my very first pair of hand-knit socks. I made myself a pair of socks from this pattern and Moda Dea Sassy Stripes yarn. I used the two circular needles approach to knit the socks, which I'll probably not do again. Now that I know dpns are available in materials other than aluminum (yes, I was living in a cave) I'll try them again. I knit loosely, and the aluminum ones tend to fall out on me. Actually, they tend to shoot out across the room like little spears, threatening to impale anything in their path. Hence, the pain of the circular needles. I tried it; it worked; it's not for me.

The result of this adventure? One pair of very warm, cushy socks. Thank goodness my clogs are about a half size too big! These socks will be good for winter, but not much else. They're certainly not perfect, but they're serviceable.





For my next sock venture, I'm going to get some cotton yarn that's a bit thinner than the Sassy Stripes. I haven't found any Cascade Fixation at the local stores yet, but there's a yarn shop in a nearby suburb that I'm dying to try. I'd love to knit something from the gorgeous wool yarn out there, but I'm allergic to everything animal. If you're in the same boat and want to knit socks, check out Grumperina's list of non-wooly sock yarns.

I'm still working on a few back projects; I'll tell you about them soon.

No comments: