Monday, May 01, 2006

Look, Ma! No Holes!



I spent a good deal of my knitting time this weekend fighting with the gusset on this loverly sock. You see, I'm a pattern gal, at least the first time I make something. Since this is my second pair of socks EVER, I'm sticking to the pattern. Or, at least, I was. I've lost count of the number of times I've ripped out the start of this gusset, because I was supposed to pick up 15 stitches when I had 13 convenient rows to do it in. Each time I tried, I had holes appearing in my fabric. Finally, I threw up my needles in despair, knit a dishcloth, came back to the sock, and ignored the pattern. Voila! No holes.

Here's my little dishcloth, knit from an old Workbasket pattern and some scrap Sugar 'n Creme cotton. It's a great car-knitting project. After the itty-bitty dpns, my number 9 needles felt like tree trunks. It was good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gah! That sock is gorgeous! You are doing great. You know, I was wondering if patterns sometimes have a built in flaw, or the pattern wasn't tested before publishing. Either way, it's fantastic! Pretty yarn, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what size and brand of needles are those? They look like aluminum, but shorties. Please share!

Stacy said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Dave. I'd really rather work on this sock than do what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing. That's not good. :)